Skip to main content

Toddler Bib by Rachel's Scrap Basket: How Your Toddler Can Eat Anything and Remain Clean

So I got a toddler bib from The Scrap Basket on Etsy for free.  Yes, folks, this is America and all you have to do to get free stuff is write an awesome, extremely insightful, and hysterically funny blog.  Moving on from my shameless self-promotion, let me engage in some shameless promotion of Rachel and her Etsy shop.  My first encounter with Rachel was when I commissioned her to make me a fabric remote control caddy to match my couch and to hold my preposterous number of household remotes.  This is an actual email she sent me, verbatim:

Hello. Actually, I plan to visit the fabric store tomorrow, and I will be happy to see if there is medium weight fabric in a blue/white or ivory. 

*Would you prefer a small print, or a larger print, or maybe a stripe?
*Would you want a 4-pocket size or 6-pocket size?
*Would you want the whole thing in the print fabric, or would you like it maybe with print for the front and back and solid blue or white/ivory for the pockets, or visa versa?
*Or would you prefer it to be all solid color, like maybe the front and back and lower pockets in solid blue and the upper pockets in white/ivory? 
*Or.....some other combination??

As you can see, we can "play" with the fabrics quite a bit, and I would love to make it exactly as you are picturing it in your mind, if possible.

Thanks so much for contacting me. I look forward to working with you on this!

Rachel


Basically my point in showing you this email is that Rachel is probably the most industrious and detail oriented person on Etsy, and she put more thought into this remote control caddy than I put into my dissertation proposal.  And it turned out great:

Look, Rachel, and other potential people who will give me free stuff, it is a two-for-one product review!  

So back to the task at hand.  I requested a toddler bib from Rachel to review here today, because my children are wild animals, and I buy lots of cute clothes for them that I would prefer not get soiled instantaneously upon them ingesting any food.  Here is the size of the bib I am talking about:

OMG this bib is big
Although this bib can work to entirely cover my 11 month old (11 months!  When did he get so big?  Excuse me while I cry), it really comes into its own with my almost 3 year old, aka Destructo.  Here we see her in a pretty white dress, and I am going to let her eat pasta with tomato sauce!  Because as you see, she cannot drop food into her lap as per usual.  It's like wearing a wet suit. However, I did have to yank the bib up before she ate. So, my suggestions are to make the neckhole smaller, and to put a longer strip of velcro on it so that it is harder for smaller kids to yank it off. (If you're on a mobile device, here's the YouTube link.)

Popular posts from this blog

Precious Things My Kid Says and My Usually Unspoken Retorts

I never get to do anything I want except face painting and carnivals Kids say the darnedest things!  Good thing they sleep for 12 hours a day or the cuteness would overwhelm me and I would have to shoot myself. Here are some tender words my preschooler serenades me with in her melodious little voice. 1- I'm not yours.  I'm Daddy's! Answer: Then go ask him to wipe you. 2- Why are you wearing that? Answer: Because I lost my fashion sense when I pushed you out of my uterus. 3- Why did you do that with your face? Answer: Because I am exerting all my willpower not to throw you out of this moving car. 4- The other mothers tell the teachers what they did on the weekend.  Why don't you? Answer: Preschool pickup sucks enough without trying to add meaningless small talk to the mix. 5- I am the only one who doesn't go to Disney. Answer: And I am the only mother with a brain. 6- Why can't we have a playdate with Madison? Answer: I hate Madison's mommy because she is too...

Annapolis Smokehouse, a Restaurant That Won't Kick Out My Kids and The Food is Great Too!

I am starting a new blog section called Restaurant Reviews: Places That Won't Kick Out My Kids. I do not get paid or get free food for my review, although there is always a first time.  If you would like to be featured in this space, think long and hard first because this is who is coming: Keep in mind you can't hear the noise in this picture Anyway,  Annapolis Smokehouse  is located at 107 Hillsmere Drive in Annapolis which doesn't matter until I tell you it is across the street from Quiet Waters Park, aka the park with the awesome playground.  Any restaurant located near a park is a good bet for families with small kids, because then you can threaten them with not going to the playground if they don't behave.   Ambience: Annapolis Smokehouse gave my kids crayons and activity placemats and allowed us to sit outside as we requested, so as not to disturb any people who went to dinner thinking they would be able to converse like human beings.  Remember those...

Life Before and After Kids, or Something Not to Read if You Were Having a Good Day

Oh those salad days (literally in that you had time to order and eat a salad) when you were married without children!  As nobody says aloud, childlessness is wasted on the childless.  Here are a few distinctions between those with kids and without, in various domains of daily life. Special Occasions:  Before Kids:  Prior to children, a three day surprise trip to a beach was a good anniversary present. Possibly add some thoughtful little gift into the mix like a treasured book, CD, or even a piece of jewelry.  As you slowly ate a delicious dinner at an amazing restaurant you found through meticulous online research, you gazed into each other's eyes.  Passionate love making followed. After Kids:   You would like your husband, for once, to be the one to text the sitter so that you can go out for two hours, including the drive, to a restaurant you don't even like but is near to the house.  Of course he doesn't have the sitter's number (despite your n...