Skip to main content

Mobile Mining Experience at Clark's Elioak Farm: The Most Interested My Kids Have Been in Something Non-Destructive

Today, we went to Clark's Elioak Farm in Ellicott City, which everyone knows is awesome if you live around here, by which I mean within 2 hours of this place, since it is so good that it is worth a car trip (and, as a parent of three kids under 4 1/2, I don't say that lightly). Clark's is a magical fairyland slash petting zoo and is always a good time.  We usually go in the Fall for hayrides and so forth but this time we went in the summer and it was better, despite the heat, because it was less crowded and my kids got to spend real quality time with the goats.  Check out these pictures of my happy children.  Keep in mind it was three million degrees out and they still were happy and uncomplaining for the most part.

A baby with a baby goat.  Just die from the cuteness right now.


Happiness is this car with eyes

Much like my younger self, my daughter chooses uncomfortable shoes because they look good

I commune with animals because I am a wild animal

It's like being in a fairytale, similar to their usual life due to the staggering number of child-centered activities I engage in

Whoosh down the slide, yet my hair is unmoving. Hashtag curly.

Anyway, this time, there was a really weird looking set-up in a field, which, upon further investigation, was a Mobile Mining Experience.  Now, what the hell is this, you ask me, because you are a first time reader and are unaware of my ability to go into extreme detail to explain stuff. Here are some pictures first:





Basically, if you have a little rock collector, like my oldest, this is the best activity in the world.  For $8 per child, we purchased the Junior Miner package, which meant each kid got a bucket of sand filled with rocks, ranging from pebbles to large "real" rocks such as rose quartz, amethyst, and labradorite.  They then use the mesh sifter thing (I don't know the vocabulary here, bear with me) to run water through the sand and uncover lots of pebbles and some large and pretty rocks.  My preschooler was delighted by this. Even my second, who is usually easily bored and destructive, got extremely engaged in this activity, quickly figuring out how to swish the water through the mesh and sift her sand to find the hidden rocks.  She was adept with this, like a little spider monkey, and exhibited genuine mining talent. (Perhaps our family will go from PhD to miner in one generation.)

My kids loved getting their rocks to take home in a little bag with their name on it, and liked the help provided by the nice young women who were in charge of giving them their sand bucket.  Both girls were entirely silent and transfixed while sifting.  My husband and I were actually able to converse during this, that's how quiet they were.  Unfortunately, as this is such a rare occurrence, we had forgotten each other's names and had to use the 20 minutes of silence to introduce ourselves to each other.  (He is pretty interesting and maybe in another couple of years we can continue getting to know one another.)

After the rocks were all found and cleaned, my preschooler listened attentively to the friendly owner of the company, Tom Cummins, explain what each of her rocks were, but my toddler refused to listen and remained obsessively engaged in the sifting (future geologist?  Or future obsessive compulsive disorder?  You say tomato, I say tomahto).  I convinced my daughter to put her bag of rocks in the bottom of the stroller so she wouldn't lose it, but this took some effort because she loved holding the rocks and looking at them.

Baby loves rocks too.  Yes, I know baby CPR and no he didn't eat any.

Anyhoo, from an adult perspective, Mobile Mining Experience is a good deal.  You get a great experience that easily lasts a blessedly silent half hour, and is novel and educational to boot; a lot of rocks, which can then be used to do crafts with, to give to friends, or to rearrange into different piles compulsively if you're a toddler; and a chart used to identify your rocks, all for $8.  Usually I prefer to spend $8 on things like a kids meal that my kids throw directly on the floor, so you can see that this is a superior deal.  Before you head over to Clark's Farm, make sure it's a day that the Mobile Mining Experience is there, so check their facebook page.

Mobile Mining Experience, and of course, Clark's Elioak Farm, thank you for a great day!  I would take this "staycation" over a vacation with kids any day of the week.  (I would also have surgery without anesthesia rather than take another family vacation, so maybe that's not a good comparison point, but my intention was to highlight how enjoyable I found this experience.)

Note: I received nothing for free for this review, but the silence of my children was priceless.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Precious Things My Kid Says and My Usually Unspoken Retorts

I never get to do anything I want except face painting and carnivals Kids say the darnedest things!  Good thing they sleep for 12 hours a day or the cuteness would overwhelm me and I would have to shoot myself. Here are some tender words my preschooler serenades me with in her melodious little voice. 1- I'm not yours.  I'm Daddy's! Answer: Then go ask him to wipe you. 2- Why are you wearing that? Answer: Because I lost my fashion sense when I pushed you out of my uterus. 3- Why did you do that with your face? Answer: Because I am exerting all my willpower not to throw you out of this moving car. 4- The other mothers tell the teachers what they did on the weekend.  Why don't you? Answer: Preschool pickup sucks enough without trying to add meaningless small talk to the mix. 5- I am the only one who doesn't go to Disney. Answer: And I am the only mother with a brain. 6- Why can't we have a playdate with Madison? Answer: I hate Madison's mommy because she is too...

Annapolis Smokehouse, a Restaurant That Won't Kick Out My Kids and The Food is Great Too!

I am starting a new blog section called Restaurant Reviews: Places That Won't Kick Out My Kids. I do not get paid or get free food for my review, although there is always a first time.  If you would like to be featured in this space, think long and hard first because this is who is coming: Keep in mind you can't hear the noise in this picture Anyway,  Annapolis Smokehouse  is located at 107 Hillsmere Drive in Annapolis which doesn't matter until I tell you it is across the street from Quiet Waters Park, aka the park with the awesome playground.  Any restaurant located near a park is a good bet for families with small kids, because then you can threaten them with not going to the playground if they don't behave.   Ambience: Annapolis Smokehouse gave my kids crayons and activity placemats and allowed us to sit outside as we requested, so as not to disturb any people who went to dinner thinking they would be able to converse like human beings.  Remember those...

Life Before and After Kids, or Something Not to Read if You Were Having a Good Day

Oh those salad days (literally in that you had time to order and eat a salad) when you were married without children!  As nobody says aloud, childlessness is wasted on the childless.  Here are a few distinctions between those with kids and without, in various domains of daily life. Special Occasions:  Before Kids:  Prior to children, a three day surprise trip to a beach was a good anniversary present. Possibly add some thoughtful little gift into the mix like a treasured book, CD, or even a piece of jewelry.  As you slowly ate a delicious dinner at an amazing restaurant you found through meticulous online research, you gazed into each other's eyes.  Passionate love making followed. After Kids:   You would like your husband, for once, to be the one to text the sitter so that you can go out for two hours, including the drive, to a restaurant you don't even like but is near to the house.  Of course he doesn't have the sitter's number (despite your n...