Skip to main content

Highly Sensitive Children, Another Thing to Worry About

If your kid takes life more seriously than other kids, and is always asking you questions like "When are you going to die?" and "What happens if my bear's ear falls off in the middle of the night and you don't hear me crying?" they may be a Highly Sensitive Child.  This is usually linked to having a Highly Sensitive Person as a parent so you can commence feeling guilty or blaming your spouse.... now.  (You can figure out the genetic culprit by taking this quiz.)  

Highly Sensitive Children are very observant, appreciate art and music, don't like loud or crowded places, can be seen as "intense."  Take another quiz on behalf of your child, because quizzes are an addictive time suck and you don't have enough on your plate.  And if they are indeed Highly Sensitive, buy this book: The Highly Sensitive Child: Helping Our Children Thrive When the World Overwhelms Them.

Highly Sensitive Children have many positive traits, such as profound empathy for others, e.g. my four year old who cries when Pocahontas and John Smith are separated in the movie.  They also have many less positive traits, like having conniption fits over food odors, refusing to wear pants because "they hurt," pointing out your facial blemishes, and noticing and inquiring about when you seem irritated with your spouse.

Here are some ways to deal with your Highly Sensitive Child:
-validate them (e.g. I know you're sad because the plant died)
-but do not give in to them in every way (e.g. do not rush out and buy a new plant immediately)
-accept them (e.g. know they will always be sad when the plant dies; you cannot "toughen them up")
and even 
-appreciate them (e.g. "It's nice that you care about the plant")

Highly Sensitive Children become artists, teachers, philosophers, scientists, musicians.... so appreciate them.  Even when they talk about their feelings for hours a day and make "cute" observations like "That other mommy today looked tired like you." 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Precious Things My Kid Says and My Usually Unspoken Retorts

I never get to do anything I want except face painting and carnivals Kids say the darnedest things!  Good thing they sleep for 12 hours a day or the cuteness would overwhelm me and I would have to shoot myself. Here are some tender words my preschooler serenades me with in her melodious little voice. 1- I'm not yours.  I'm Daddy's! Answer: Then go ask him to wipe you. 2- Why are you wearing that? Answer: Because I lost my fashion sense when I pushed you out of my uterus. 3- Why did you do that with your face? Answer: Because I am exerting all my willpower not to throw you out of this moving car. 4- The other mothers tell the teachers what they did on the weekend.  Why don't you? Answer: Preschool pickup sucks enough without trying to add meaningless small talk to the mix. 5- I am the only one who doesn't go to Disney. Answer: And I am the only mother with a brain. 6- Why can't we have a playdate with Madison? Answer: I hate Madison's mommy because she is too...

Annapolis Smokehouse, a Restaurant That Won't Kick Out My Kids and The Food is Great Too!

I am starting a new blog section called Restaurant Reviews: Places That Won't Kick Out My Kids. I do not get paid or get free food for my review, although there is always a first time.  If you would like to be featured in this space, think long and hard first because this is who is coming: Keep in mind you can't hear the noise in this picture Anyway,  Annapolis Smokehouse  is located at 107 Hillsmere Drive in Annapolis which doesn't matter until I tell you it is across the street from Quiet Waters Park, aka the park with the awesome playground.  Any restaurant located near a park is a good bet for families with small kids, because then you can threaten them with not going to the playground if they don't behave.   Ambience: Annapolis Smokehouse gave my kids crayons and activity placemats and allowed us to sit outside as we requested, so as not to disturb any people who went to dinner thinking they would be able to converse like human beings.  Remember those...

Life Before and After Kids, or Something Not to Read if You Were Having a Good Day

Oh those salad days (literally in that you had time to order and eat a salad) when you were married without children!  As nobody says aloud, childlessness is wasted on the childless.  Here are a few distinctions between those with kids and without, in various domains of daily life. Special Occasions:  Before Kids:  Prior to children, a three day surprise trip to a beach was a good anniversary present. Possibly add some thoughtful little gift into the mix like a treasured book, CD, or even a piece of jewelry.  As you slowly ate a delicious dinner at an amazing restaurant you found through meticulous online research, you gazed into each other's eyes.  Passionate love making followed. After Kids:   You would like your husband, for once, to be the one to text the sitter so that you can go out for two hours, including the drive, to a restaurant you don't even like but is near to the house.  Of course he doesn't have the sitter's number (despite your n...