Skip to main content

City Dock Cafe, I Use You to Make My Kids Listen

In my continuing series of Restaurants That Won't Kick Out My Children, I come to City Dock Cafe, located at 1296 Bay Dale Drive in Arnold.  I love City Dock.  I studied for the licensing exam there when I was pregnant with my oldest child, and I always run into people I know there.  It's like Cheers, for people who have no time to socialize.  (When you think about it, Cheers never would have been made today.  Different culture. They would now be considered alcoholics. But I digress.)

We love special treats!
I am crazy enough without caffeine

Now that I have three kids, City Dock remains a stand by for breakfast and lunch, and I go often.  The food is delicious, especially the quiche, both the spinach and the broccoli.  There are no green salads available, and I'd like to see that on the lunch menu, but the chicken and tuna salads are delicious, particularly the ones made with Old Bay.  And of course, my kids love the cookies, particularly the black and white cookie.  These are as good as the ones in New York, and are the only black and white cookies I have found down here that I can say that about.  There are different low fat and regular specialty muffins every day, and other baked goods as well.  I also really like the red velvet biscotti.   City Dock coffee is delicious, and I take coffee black, so it matters to me whether it's good or not.  They do not have iced decaf though, so I get regular decaf over ice.  Which is good too, but a suggestion is to make iced decaf available for all of us nursing mothers (there are a lot of us and we want a cold drink).

The ambience at City Dock is great.  As I have said, I always see people I know there, and everyone is friendly, even when you're knocking into them with a jogging stroller.  The baristas are always warm and helpful.  There is a trivia question every day at the counter that I have yet to answer correctly, and they display artwork on the walls from local artists.  So you will feel cool, like you're not in a strip mall in Arnold, but rather in a coffee shop (or shoppy cough, as my oldest used to say when she was 2) in a city.  Thus: CITY dock.  (Actually I think it's because the main location of City Dock is in Downtown Annapolis but go with me here.)

Enough praise, let's turn to practical tips.  Here is how to use City Dock for behavioral modification in young children.

1- "If you're good, you can come with Mommy to City Dock and we can take a coloring book with us."

2- "Be quiet or you won't get this black and white cookie that I got you from City Dock."

3- "If you get dressed yourself, we can have a special morning where we get a bagel and cream cheese at City Dock and sit on the grass overlooking the Molly Maid cars."

My daughter calls this "The Forest."  I guess she needs more exposure to nature.

So, grab your kids and take them somewhere where people will find them cute and you know they will eat the food (set to theme music for Cheers).  Also, there is coffee for those of us who haven't slept straight through the night in 11 months (but who's counting!).  And after the day you had with the kids, you know you deserve a black and white cookie.  

Come here you dichotomous beauty
3.bp.blogspot.com

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Precious Things My Kid Says and My Usually Unspoken Retorts

I never get to do anything I want except face painting and carnivals Kids say the darnedest things!  Good thing they sleep for 12 hours a day or the cuteness would overwhelm me and I would have to shoot myself. Here are some tender words my preschooler serenades me with in her melodious little voice. 1- I'm not yours.  I'm Daddy's! Answer: Then go ask him to wipe you. 2- Why are you wearing that? Answer: Because I lost my fashion sense when I pushed you out of my uterus. 3- Why did you do that with your face? Answer: Because I am exerting all my willpower not to throw you out of this moving car. 4- The other mothers tell the teachers what they did on the weekend.  Why don't you? Answer: Preschool pickup sucks enough without trying to add meaningless small talk to the mix. 5- I am the only one who doesn't go to Disney. Answer: And I am the only mother with a brain. 6- Why can't we have a playdate with Madison? Answer: I hate Madison's mommy because she is too...

Annapolis Smokehouse, a Restaurant That Won't Kick Out My Kids and The Food is Great Too!

I am starting a new blog section called Restaurant Reviews: Places That Won't Kick Out My Kids. I do not get paid or get free food for my review, although there is always a first time.  If you would like to be featured in this space, think long and hard first because this is who is coming: Keep in mind you can't hear the noise in this picture Anyway,  Annapolis Smokehouse  is located at 107 Hillsmere Drive in Annapolis which doesn't matter until I tell you it is across the street from Quiet Waters Park, aka the park with the awesome playground.  Any restaurant located near a park is a good bet for families with small kids, because then you can threaten them with not going to the playground if they don't behave.   Ambience: Annapolis Smokehouse gave my kids crayons and activity placemats and allowed us to sit outside as we requested, so as not to disturb any people who went to dinner thinking they would be able to converse like human beings.  Remember those...

Life Before and After Kids, or Something Not to Read if You Were Having a Good Day

Oh those salad days (literally in that you had time to order and eat a salad) when you were married without children!  As nobody says aloud, childlessness is wasted on the childless.  Here are a few distinctions between those with kids and without, in various domains of daily life. Special Occasions:  Before Kids:  Prior to children, a three day surprise trip to a beach was a good anniversary present. Possibly add some thoughtful little gift into the mix like a treasured book, CD, or even a piece of jewelry.  As you slowly ate a delicious dinner at an amazing restaurant you found through meticulous online research, you gazed into each other's eyes.  Passionate love making followed. After Kids:   You would like your husband, for once, to be the one to text the sitter so that you can go out for two hours, including the drive, to a restaurant you don't even like but is near to the house.  Of course he doesn't have the sitter's number (despite your n...