Skip to main content

Betty Draper and Borderline Personality Disorder

This Onion article gives a good overview of Borderline Personality Disorder, but the idea is pretty much given away in the title: Totally Hot Chick Also Way Psycho.  Read more about BPD here.

Overall, if you feel up and down, very moody, empty, lonely, have difficult relationships with others, have anger outbursts, become frantic when abandoned, feel ambivalent about closeness (see classic book I Hate You--Don't Leave Me: Understanding the Borderline Personality); engage in black and white/all or nothing thinking, cannot be  empathic to others, are impulsive and reckless in your behavior, and have self-harmed, these are good indicators that you may have some BPD tendencies (note of the obvious: I cannot diagnose you using this webpage.  I can't even see you.)

BPD is debilitating (although you can be high functioning BPD and nobody knows how you really act except your intimates) and people have long thought that it did not respond to therapy.  Now we know better and in fact BPD symptoms can decrease significantly in treatment.  And if your parent or partner is/was BPD, see my reading list for many books that can really help you understand this in depth.

But this is not where I am going with this.  Here is why Betty Draper is BPD as well in my opinion, although of a different stripe than the girl in the Onion article link.  (Spoilers below if you haven't seen the whole season!)

I'm a mom of three, why don't I look like this?
nobodyputsbabyinahorner.wordpress.com 

Betty, although hot, which partially makes up for it, does not seem to have any empathy.  We see this in how she acts toward her kids as well as how she acts towards Don when he tried to confide in her before the marriage ended.  By the 2014 season, Sally is realizing her mother's emotional limitations and is angry with her.  Her little brother is developing an anxiety disorder.

As soon as the children stop being babies and can have wills of their own, Betty is no longer able to interact with them lovingly, except at rare times.  She takes things very personally and is unable to see the world from a child's perspective (eg when she got very angry at her son for giving away her sandwich on their field trip).

Like other borderlines, Betty can never be single, and there was overlap between Don and her current husband.  We get the impression she feels empty, and her identity is based primarily on her looks and the prestige of her husband, although recent episodes suggest she may be maturing and want more of an adult identity of her own.  Betty also engages in impulsive and addictive behaviors, eg sleeping with Don at their children's summer camp, binge eating during the season when she was overweight, drinking, smoking, shopping.

Betty's childhood has been alluded to; her mother thought she was overweight and her father did not seem to think much of her intelligence.  BPD has been linked to an invalidating childhood, so this makes sense.

What do you think?  Who else on TV is BPD?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Precious Things My Kid Says and My Usually Unspoken Retorts

I never get to do anything I want except face painting and carnivals Kids say the darnedest things!  Good thing they sleep for 12 hours a day or the cuteness would overwhelm me and I would have to shoot myself. Here are some tender words my preschooler serenades me with in her melodious little voice. 1- I'm not yours.  I'm Daddy's! Answer: Then go ask him to wipe you. 2- Why are you wearing that? Answer: Because I lost my fashion sense when I pushed you out of my uterus. 3- Why did you do that with your face? Answer: Because I am exerting all my willpower not to throw you out of this moving car. 4- The other mothers tell the teachers what they did on the weekend.  Why don't you? Answer: Preschool pickup sucks enough without trying to add meaningless small talk to the mix. 5- I am the only one who doesn't go to Disney. Answer: And I am the only mother with a brain. 6- Why can't we have a playdate with Madison? Answer: I hate Madison's mommy because she is too...

Annapolis Smokehouse, a Restaurant That Won't Kick Out My Kids and The Food is Great Too!

I am starting a new blog section called Restaurant Reviews: Places That Won't Kick Out My Kids. I do not get paid or get free food for my review, although there is always a first time.  If you would like to be featured in this space, think long and hard first because this is who is coming: Keep in mind you can't hear the noise in this picture Anyway,  Annapolis Smokehouse  is located at 107 Hillsmere Drive in Annapolis which doesn't matter until I tell you it is across the street from Quiet Waters Park, aka the park with the awesome playground.  Any restaurant located near a park is a good bet for families with small kids, because then you can threaten them with not going to the playground if they don't behave.   Ambience: Annapolis Smokehouse gave my kids crayons and activity placemats and allowed us to sit outside as we requested, so as not to disturb any people who went to dinner thinking they would be able to converse like human beings.  Remember those...

Life Before and After Kids, or Something Not to Read if You Were Having a Good Day

Oh those salad days (literally in that you had time to order and eat a salad) when you were married without children!  As nobody says aloud, childlessness is wasted on the childless.  Here are a few distinctions between those with kids and without, in various domains of daily life. Special Occasions:  Before Kids:  Prior to children, a three day surprise trip to a beach was a good anniversary present. Possibly add some thoughtful little gift into the mix like a treasured book, CD, or even a piece of jewelry.  As you slowly ate a delicious dinner at an amazing restaurant you found through meticulous online research, you gazed into each other's eyes.  Passionate love making followed. After Kids:   You would like your husband, for once, to be the one to text the sitter so that you can go out for two hours, including the drive, to a restaurant you don't even like but is near to the house.  Of course he doesn't have the sitter's number (despite your n...