Skip to main content

London 2012: Powered By Acer


We have known for some time that the London 2012 Olympics will be in part powered by Acer. What we are just now finding out is the details on how they are going to supply the athletes, in house functions and guard stations. It looks like Acer will be providing some 11,000 computers to be used next summer, as well as providing the scanners that the security gates are using. This should provide a big boost to the Acer name and the company as a whole.


A more recent report is showing that Acer will be providing around 10,000 desktop PC’s, another 1,000 laptops, and a little under a thousand servers. Acer will be sticking with their Veriton L670Gs, which is not exactly a powerhouse computer by any means. At the highest tier these PC’s only come with Windows Vista (which will be loaded for the games), Intel’s Core 2 Quad, 4 GB of DDR2, and a serial ATA. The laptops, on the other hand, are their TravelMate 6593Gs running Windows 7 but still stuck with the dual core chips. Sure Usain Bolt can run 100 meters in 9.58, but the technology he is using is from 2007.


It is also worth mentioning that Acer will be sporting anywhere from 300 to 400 employees on staff to help with all technical issues. Among those staff members only a small margin of them (3% or less) will be from outside of Britain, but most are extremely well trained, with a majority even working on the Vancouver 2010 games.


Good luck, fellow techies working the games, good luck.


Sources:


Itpro.co.uk - Going for Gold - IT at the London Olympics


Theregister.co.uk - London 2012 Olympics: 17000 athletes, 11000 computers


Acer - TravelMate 6593 Series Quick Guide – PDF


Acer – Veriton L670 Series Quick Guide – PDF



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Precious Things My Kid Says and My Usually Unspoken Retorts

I never get to do anything I want except face painting and carnivals Kids say the darnedest things!  Good thing they sleep for 12 hours a day or the cuteness would overwhelm me and I would have to shoot myself. Here are some tender words my preschooler serenades me with in her melodious little voice. 1- I'm not yours.  I'm Daddy's! Answer: Then go ask him to wipe you. 2- Why are you wearing that? Answer: Because I lost my fashion sense when I pushed you out of my uterus. 3- Why did you do that with your face? Answer: Because I am exerting all my willpower not to throw you out of this moving car. 4- The other mothers tell the teachers what they did on the weekend.  Why don't you? Answer: Preschool pickup sucks enough without trying to add meaningless small talk to the mix. 5- I am the only one who doesn't go to Disney. Answer: And I am the only mother with a brain. 6- Why can't we have a playdate with Madison? Answer: I hate Madison's mommy because she is too...

Annapolis Smokehouse, a Restaurant That Won't Kick Out My Kids and The Food is Great Too!

I am starting a new blog section called Restaurant Reviews: Places That Won't Kick Out My Kids. I do not get paid or get free food for my review, although there is always a first time.  If you would like to be featured in this space, think long and hard first because this is who is coming: Keep in mind you can't hear the noise in this picture Anyway,  Annapolis Smokehouse  is located at 107 Hillsmere Drive in Annapolis which doesn't matter until I tell you it is across the street from Quiet Waters Park, aka the park with the awesome playground.  Any restaurant located near a park is a good bet for families with small kids, because then you can threaten them with not going to the playground if they don't behave.   Ambience: Annapolis Smokehouse gave my kids crayons and activity placemats and allowed us to sit outside as we requested, so as not to disturb any people who went to dinner thinking they would be able to converse like human beings.  Remember those...

Life Before and After Kids, or Something Not to Read if You Were Having a Good Day

Oh those salad days (literally in that you had time to order and eat a salad) when you were married without children!  As nobody says aloud, childlessness is wasted on the childless.  Here are a few distinctions between those with kids and without, in various domains of daily life. Special Occasions:  Before Kids:  Prior to children, a three day surprise trip to a beach was a good anniversary present. Possibly add some thoughtful little gift into the mix like a treasured book, CD, or even a piece of jewelry.  As you slowly ate a delicious dinner at an amazing restaurant you found through meticulous online research, you gazed into each other's eyes.  Passionate love making followed. After Kids:   You would like your husband, for once, to be the one to text the sitter so that you can go out for two hours, including the drive, to a restaurant you don't even like but is near to the house.  Of course he doesn't have the sitter's number (despite your n...