Skip to main content

Reader Q&A with Dr. Psych Mom: When Should You Have #2?

Kristen, a reader from (yet again, coincidentally) suburban Maryland, writes:

Dr. Rodman,

When did you plan on having your second?  My husband and I want more kids but are unsure a bit still and don't want to wait too long.  When did you start trying after Natalia?  

Kristen

Well, Kristen, first of all, that's a pretty personal question. Do you also want to know what position we used?  Nosy nosy.  Just kidding there.  Don't stop following my blog.  Anyway, when I went to Natalia's 9 month checkup, I was very proud of myself and told the pediatrician that I was still nursing her something like 6 times a day and pumping a bizarre amount of milk (I would get 12 oz pumped milk after her morning feed.)  The pediatrician was not impressed and said something to the effect of, feed her more food and nurse her less because she wasn't a newborn baby anymore.  

We actually used these letter books, like, all the time. #Firstbaby
So then, upon hearing someone actually say that my baby was no longer so much of a baby, I became distressed and began to miss having a baby (despite having, as pictured above, a baby).  Clara was conceived instantaneously that night.  (Octomom, you are not the only baby addict out there.)


So, you casually inquire, would you recommend the 18 month age difference?  Ha ha, I say.  Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha.  But let me elaborate.

Natalia doesn't even remember not having Clara around.  She had zero jealousy and thought she was one of the grownups there to care for the new baby.  Natalia and Clara now are inseparable, although they also fight like wildebeests.  They are definitely best friends.









However, upon reviewing some of the above photos for inclusion in this post, I experienced what we in the psychological community call "PTSD flashbacks."  It was extremely hard to parent two children this close in age together with minimal help during the day.  I still sent Natalia to daycare 8 hours per week in order to work (and also on my maternity leave, most of the time) and my husband was a great help on nights and weekends, but it was still very challenging.

One thing that helped me was always to get out of the house at least once per day.  We did loads of activities.  We did Kindermusik and Clara laid on the floor in the middle of the circle of singing toddlers.  We did library class.  We did swim lessons.  For me, being at home with the two of them and their constant physically draining demands was nearly impossible, and at least when I was out I could speak to other adults.  But some people would have found my schedule with them to be too draining.  To each her own.

Also, if you do have children this close in age, don't be afraid to use whatever support resources are at your disposal.  In retrospect, I should have put Natalia in daycare for another morning or even up to four mornings, just to have some down time with the baby.  At the time I felt too much guilt to do this, thinking, if I'm home, shouldn't she be with me?  (Answer: no.)

I also was extremely stupid about screen time.  I did not yet have my motto of ALL SCREEN TIME SHOULD HAVE THE PURPOSE OF MAKING YOUR LIFE EASIER.  Clara would only nurse in a dark and silent room.  So, like a true idiot, I would give Natalia at 20 months something like a book, for real, and tell her to sit there and read while I went upstairs with Clara to nurse for 20 minutes.  This gave me a knot of anxiety in my stomach imagining the trouble she was getting into downstairs, and I would sit in the rocker looking at the clock hoping Clara was eating enough for me to soon run back downstairs.  And although, strangely, Natalia, being Natalia, actually did read the book to herself for a while, it was obviously not for the whole 20 minutes, and then she would wander upstairs and disrupt Clara, who would unlatch, and I would immediately get a horrible pulsing migraine from stress.  All could have been solved with the damn TV, which would have hypnotized her for easily a half hour at a time.

Between Clara and Levi, however, the age difference is two years, and this made things a lot easier on me.  However, there is also the confound of me now being a more experienced mom.  On the other hand, though, Clara was old enough to be jealous of the new baby, which is something I did not experience with Natalia.  (Although, to be fair, other moms of 18 month olds have reported jealousy, so Natalia may have been an outlier.  Yet, all seem to agree that an older toddler is going to have a worse time of it than a younger toddler in terms of acclimating to a new baby; if nothing else, they have been the baby for longer and are more aware of the ousting.)

So, basically, you're damned if you wait and damned if you do it right now.  Aren't you glad you asked this question?  But seriously, there are pros and cons to each.  If you are fairly laid back, and have some childcare help that you aren't afraid to use, have them close together.  They will be best friends.  And if you wait, that's fine too, and definitely go on a vacation (I mean alone with your husband, not a family vacation) before conception to savor the last bit of time before you change from "a couple with a baby" into "a family with two kids" (this distinction is kind of like the difference between having one precious hand-sewn doll in a baby's room versus having an entire playroom stuffed with bright plastic toys that you rue the day you ever bought and that take over your whole house making it look like crap).

Good luck and god speed, my friend random reader.

Till next time someone emails me a question, I remain, your Friendly Neighborhood Blogapist.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Precious Things My Kid Says and My Usually Unspoken Retorts

I never get to do anything I want except face painting and carnivals Kids say the darnedest things!  Good thing they sleep for 12 hours a day or the cuteness would overwhelm me and I would have to shoot myself. Here are some tender words my preschooler serenades me with in her melodious little voice. 1- I'm not yours.  I'm Daddy's! Answer: Then go ask him to wipe you. 2- Why are you wearing that? Answer: Because I lost my fashion sense when I pushed you out of my uterus. 3- Why did you do that with your face? Answer: Because I am exerting all my willpower not to throw you out of this moving car. 4- The other mothers tell the teachers what they did on the weekend.  Why don't you? Answer: Preschool pickup sucks enough without trying to add meaningless small talk to the mix. 5- I am the only one who doesn't go to Disney. Answer: And I am the only mother with a brain. 6- Why can't we have a playdate with Madison? Answer: I hate Madison's mommy because she is too...

Annapolis Smokehouse, a Restaurant That Won't Kick Out My Kids and The Food is Great Too!

I am starting a new blog section called Restaurant Reviews: Places That Won't Kick Out My Kids. I do not get paid or get free food for my review, although there is always a first time.  If you would like to be featured in this space, think long and hard first because this is who is coming: Keep in mind you can't hear the noise in this picture Anyway,  Annapolis Smokehouse  is located at 107 Hillsmere Drive in Annapolis which doesn't matter until I tell you it is across the street from Quiet Waters Park, aka the park with the awesome playground.  Any restaurant located near a park is a good bet for families with small kids, because then you can threaten them with not going to the playground if they don't behave.   Ambience: Annapolis Smokehouse gave my kids crayons and activity placemats and allowed us to sit outside as we requested, so as not to disturb any people who went to dinner thinking they would be able to converse like human beings.  Remember those...

Life Before and After Kids, or Something Not to Read if You Were Having a Good Day

Oh those salad days (literally in that you had time to order and eat a salad) when you were married without children!  As nobody says aloud, childlessness is wasted on the childless.  Here are a few distinctions between those with kids and without, in various domains of daily life. Special Occasions:  Before Kids:  Prior to children, a three day surprise trip to a beach was a good anniversary present. Possibly add some thoughtful little gift into the mix like a treasured book, CD, or even a piece of jewelry.  As you slowly ate a delicious dinner at an amazing restaurant you found through meticulous online research, you gazed into each other's eyes.  Passionate love making followed. After Kids:   You would like your husband, for once, to be the one to text the sitter so that you can go out for two hours, including the drive, to a restaurant you don't even like but is near to the house.  Of course he doesn't have the sitter's number (despite your n...